As a woman on the edit side who works with PR professionals, this was extremely interesting to me.
I drove a round trip total of 10 hours this weekend to visit this guy who is a reporter in a podunk Texas town. Blake and I have been friends since that fateful freshman year when we lived on the same floor in the dorms at Mizzou. We went out with one of his work friends who later told Blake that our friendship dynamic is awesome and something that he’s never witnessed. I’ve never thought about how cool we are together, but we’re really cool together.
1. Guys and girls CAN just be friends. We’re a dang good example.
2. I’m lucky to know him and I’m glad we spend too much money on gas to spend some great weekends together every few months.
He doesn’t look super thrilled here, but I know he secretly loves this picture of us.
I turned 23 on Wednesday.
Bucket lists are slightly morbid. Short term goals are easier to accomplish. The concept is simple: 23 things I want to do before I turn 24. I’ll do my best to document them here as I get them done.
I stole this idea (and a few of the items on my list) from my sweet cousin, Allison. Visit her blog here.
1. Go to dinner and a movie solo
2. Find a church I like in Dallas and start attending regularly
3. Go to a drive-in movie
4. Visit a state I’ve never been to before
5. Learn to manage my time MUCH more efficiently at work
6. Write a few letters.
7. Find a place to volunteer
8. Read (at least) six books
9. Run an (organized) 10K
10. Do a fun run
11. Visit my bestie in Jacksonville
12. Learn to cook 10 new recipes
13. Buy a kitchen table (and chairs)
14. Buy a book of creative writing prompts and stretch those muscles
15. Make my bed everyday
16. Try 10 new restaurants in Dallas
17. Try yoga
18. Travel alone for a weekend
19. Invest in decorating my room in a way that I’m in love with
20. Wear lipstick more
21. Go without social media for a month
22. Make two new lasting friendships
23. Watch the sun rise once a month
Anything I should add to my list?
22 was pretty sweet to me. Let’s see what 23’s got!
-I pay all of my own bills. Car insurance? Yup. I also send my Dad money every month for my portion of my phone. / The thought of adding a car payment to those makes me cringe.
-I have a 9-5 job doing exactly what I went to school for. / It’s an hourly position.
-I rent an apartment in Dallas’s Oak Lawn/Uptown area, which is THE place to be if you’re a young professional. / Almost all of the furniture in it is a hand-me-down.
-Over time I’ve acquired a pretty decent “work wardrobe.” / At least half of that work wardrobe is in a corner of my closet in a “to-take-to-the-dry-cleaners” pile.
-I have a burning desire to entertain/host a dinner party/have a game night. / We don’t own a kitchen table. Yet.
-I’ve acquired a taste for “better” beer. / I can only afford/sometimes I still prefer Bud Light.
-I have a credit card that I don’t abuse. / I only have a credit card because I desperately need to build credit.
-I’m 22/I’m 22
Cue the Britney Spears: “I’m not a girl, not yet a woman.”
File under: Things I thought I would have money for when I became a real person, but I definitely don’t.
Lately dining Dallas has been more important and I have no regrets.